In accordance with the directive of the federal Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP), the Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) is moving to a mediation system that utilizes independent contractors as mediators; as of September 1, 2017, employees of the CSDE will no longer be mediating. Please access the profiles of the new mediators, a revised form you may use to request mediation and a form to assist us with professional development using these links or the links provided at the bottom of this notification. (Fillable forms will soon be available on our website.)
As part of the move to the new mediation system, certain changes are being made to the existing practices and procedures. Please note the following:
- Through August, the new mediators will transition from observing mediations to conducting mediations with the current mediators observing;
- For the current time, mediation notices will continue to be issued by the Bureau of Special Education;
- Whether mediation is requested through use of the revised form, letter or electronic mail, we are asking that the same information requested on the form be provided in the request including a simple statement of the issues and proposed resolution;
- Mediation requests will be assigned to the new mediators on an alphabetical, rotating basis;
- The mediators will contact the parties to arrange the date of mediation; it is not necessary to provide dates.
We hope to make the transition to the new process as smooth as possible. Please contact us with any questions or concerns.
Gail Mangs Mary Jean Schierberl