Recently, the United States Department of Education, Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services, in response to a letter of inquiry, issued informal guidance related to the applicability of LRE requirements under IDEA to transition work placements.
This informal guidance addressed six questions:
- Is the IEP Team required to include work placement in a transition-aged student’s IEP?
- Is the IEP Team required to provide parents with “notice of placement” when determining a student’s work placement?
- Can segregated work be considered an appropriate outcome, particularly with appropriate assessment in a LRE before such a placement occurs?
- Is the LEA required to provide supplemental aids and services to allow the student to participate in the least restrictive work placement possible?
- How must LRE work placements be monitored?
- Are states required to consider a student’s work placement when they report the number of students participating in regular education?
You may review the entire document by viewing the attachment below.