The Governor’s Coalition for Youth with Disabilities (GCYD) has announced the availability of their 2014 scholarship application. Please note that the application process has changed from previous years.
The 2014 GCYD application must be submitted electronically via the GCYD Web site at www.gcyd.org. The deadline for scholarship applications (electronic and paper submissions) is Friday, January 10, 2014.
The application cannot be saved once started, so students should plan to complete it in one sitting. In order to do this, students must be prepared with the following:
- contributions they have made to their school and/or their community;
- any special honors, recognitions or awards they would like to mention; and
- a personal essay that is 8000 characters or less in which the student must:
- describe his or her disability in his/her own words; and
- describe how the disability has impacted his/her life experiences and provide at least one example of how he/she managed that impact in order to overcome a challenge in each of the following groups/situations:
- within his/her family environment,
- while at school and/or work, and
- among his/her peers and friends.
- describe how he/she will use what has been learned from the experiences above as he/she moves forward through school and adulthood; and
- discuss his/her intended major course of study or specific occupational skill that he/she would like to pursue in school.
Students will also need electronic versions of items in PDF format to upload when requested. These items will need to be scanned, saved and ready to access at the time the student sits down to complete the application. Those items include:
- transcript (unofficial or official);
- at least one signed letter of recommendation;
- signed certification form; and
- a picture that can be used in the program should the student be chosen for an award.
If a student needs to request a waiver for electronic submission and requires a paper application for purposes of meeting a disability accommodation, please e-mail the GCYD at email@example.com.
Please address questions to Program Director Arlene Lugo, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-424-4881.