On May 12, 2014, the following e-mail was forwarded to Connecticut directors of special education and pupil personnel services from Dr. Patricia Anderson, education consultant in the Bureau of Special Education. Please see the links that have been placed at the end of this posting in order to view any resources referenced in the e-mail.
The following is the content of that e-mail:
Directors of Special Education and Pupil Personnel Services:
Attached, please find the revised ED620/IEP page 9 (student assessment), revised Individualized Education Program Manual guidance for page 9, the 2015 CSDE Test Supports/Accommodations Form, and the CTAA and CMT/CAPT Science Skills Checklists Eligibility & Learner Characteristics Inventory (LCI). Please replace the current IEP page (9 or 9a) and IEP manual pages as indicated. Page 9 and the IEP Manual guidance for Page 9 have been incorporated into the IEP Manual and Forms and are currently posted on the CSDE Web site on the BSE page/PPT Process and IEP Forms (http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/cwp/view.asp?a=2626&q=322680).
The 2015 CSDE Test Supports/Accommodations Form and the CTAA and CMT/CAPT Science Skills Checklists Eligibility & Learner Characteristics Inventory (LCI) that is to be used for guidance on determining eligibility for alternate statewide assessments are posted on the Student Assessment Web site: (http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/cwp/view.asp?a=2748&Q=335214). This data will be entered on the CSDE Accommodations Collection Web site when it opens for the 2015 collection.
The Revised IEP page 9 and the 2015 CSDE Test Supports/Accommodations Form are to be used immediately or as soon as is practically possible upon this release. Until the IEP Vendors have updated the electronic IEP forms, please use a hard copy of page 9 (revised 5/4/14) and the 2015 CSDE Test Supports/Accommodations Form.
Up until this point, the CSDE has advised districts to use page 9a for 2014-15 IEPs until the revised page 9 was released. If an annual review PPT meeting has already been convened for a student, and page 9a was used and the information on page 9a is equivalent to the information on page 9 for THAT student (e.g., a student taking the Smarter Balanced Assessments without needing a change in the accommodations requested), the IEP does not need to be amended. In this case, page 9a may be used until the next PPT and/or annual review. HOWEVER, prior to the administration of the 2015 Smarter Balanced Assessments, the 2015 CSDE Test Supports/Accommodations Form will need to be completed, attached to the IEP and the accommodations submitted to the district test coordinator, to be entered into the CSDE Accommodations Collections Web site.
If an annual review PPT meeting has already been convened for a student and page 9a was used and the information on page 9a is not appropriate for identifying the statewide assessment that the student will be taking in 2015, (i.e., the Connecticut Alternate Assessment (CTAA), the CMT or CAPT Science, or the CMT/CAPT Science Skills Checklists) and/or the necessary accommodations, the IEP must be revised either by an amendment or by holding another PPT to discuss the new assessment(s) and possible accommodations using the new page 9 (revised 5/4/14) and the 2015 CSDE Test Supports/Accommodations Form. One of the following procedures may be used in this case:
- If the PPT already discussed the appropriate statewide alternate assessment with the parents, including documenting elsewhere in the IEP (i.e., on page 2) what the appropriate accommodations should be, the IEP may be amended as needed through the use of form ED634 (Agreement to Change an Individualized Education Program Without Convening a Planning and Placement Team Meeting) with the agreement of the parent, guardian or the student (if the student is over 18 years of age). The district may complete the new page 9 (revised 5/4/14) and attach a competed 2015 CSDE Test Supports/Accommodations Form to ED634 and request that the parents sign and return the documents.
- If the PPT did not fully discuss the alternate assessments or the possible accommodations, a new PPT should be held to discuss these options and complete the new page 9 of the IEP (revised 5/4/14) and the 2015 CSDE Test Supports/Accommodations Form.
If you have any questions, please contact CSDE staff as follows:
Student Assessment/Accommodations Questions:
Joe Amenta (860-713-6855) email@example.com
Janet Stuck (860-713-6837) firstname.lastname@example.org
Patricia Anderson (860-713-6923) email@example.com
Gail Mangs (860-713-6938) firstname.lastname@example.org
- revised ED620/IEP including the new page 9 [PDF] [DOC];
- revised IEP Manual including guidance for page 9 [PDF] [DOC];
- the 2015 CSDE Test Supports /Accommodations Form (scroll to 2nd page) [PDF];
- Supports/Accommodations Quick Guide (page 2 of the 2015 Accommodations Form) [PDF]; and
- the CTAA and CMT/CAPT Skills Checklists Science Eligibility & Learner Characteristics Inventory (LCI) [PDF].